Re: additional virtual packages for kde

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 10:07:08PM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 19971127001911.11766@dungeon.inka.de> you wrote:
>
> : their packages are available, ours not...
>
> I think there are two things that I must have missed in the discussion on this
> topic:
>
> 	- why are there two sets of KDE packages?  One should be sufficient.

Very easy.  KDE wants to have the whole thing installed in /opt
(or in /usr/local).  The Debian Policy tells maintainer to install
packages in /usr/bin, /etc, /usr/lib, /var/lib etc.  Either packages
reflects their policy.

> 	- why can't "your" KDE packages be made available just as easily as
> 	  the other set?  If Incoming is backlogged, put the files somewhere
> 	  else that folks can get to them.

That has been done.  But people keep looking on ftp.debian.org and
ftp.kde.org.  As the incoming isn't world readable anymore only
developers can see the packages.  Only few people know aj's ftp address.

Regards

	Joey

 / The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media             /
/                                             -- H. Peter Anvin /