Re: additional virtual packages for kde

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Luis Francisco Gonzalez wrote:

> I think Andreas is right here. It'll be debian users that will suffer. I
> don't feel I know enough of the packages and kde to be sure which is the best
> technical solution but I do think we should work something out. And this
> regardless of whether we like kde or not. It's in the interest of our users
> and of not being called a "broken" distribution.

As I see it, we are facing a more complex problem here.

As our packaging format becomes more popular (and we really want it,
don't we?) there will be more upstream authors that package their
programs as "deb" but don't follow our policies (non-FSSTND-compliant
packages, for example).

What are we going to do to avoid conflicts between their versions and our
own packaged ones? I guess virtual-packages is not the optimal solution...

all said IMHO, of course...
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna