Re: Changelogs and bug closing

Joey Hess asks me:
> Is associating changelog entries and the bugs they close really
> important? If the maintainer feels it's not clear which entries of the
> changelog close which bugs, he can always refer to the bug numbers
> in the changelog.

Yes, I think it is important.  If several bugs are closed in the same
upload then if you only see the upload announcement you can't find the
relevant bug easily to check up on things.  It will _always_ be
unclear which entries in the changelog close which bugs, because the
bugs are just numbers.  You'll end up with the same information - the
bug numbers - appearing twice, once with meaning for computers (in the
closes entry at the top of the change entry) and once with meaning for
humans (in the changelog text).  This is almost always a bad idea.

> I don't understand why you favor overloading the text of the changelog
> this way. It's not clean.

I think it's quite clean, really.  The text of the changelog already
has a constrained format - it's not that big a step to parsing special
strings out of it.

Ian.