Re: Changelogs and bug closing

Ian Jackson wrote:
> However, I don't think this should be done using the keyword/value
> syntax in parsechangelog/debian.  I think that it should be done by
> grepping the text of the changelog entry for a relevant and explicit
> string.  That way the bug being closed can be associated explicitly
> with a particular item in the changelog, by humans or by machines.
> parsechangelog/debian should take the information out of the changelog
> and put it in a Closes line in its output, and dpkg-source et al
> should be updated to handle the new field.  I propose the syntax
>   * yada yada yada wibble closes:Bug#NNNN,Bug#MMMM stuff.
> ie the regexp /closes:Bug\#\d+\(,Bug\#\d+\)*/ (Perl syntax - and
> case-sensitive).

I don't understand why you favor overloading the text of the changelog
this way. It's not clean.

Is associating changelog entries and the bugs they close really
important? If the maintainer feels it's not clear which entries of the
changelog close which bugs, he can always refer to the bug numbers
in the changelog.

--
see shy jo