Re: Taking over production of emacs20 package.

"Adam P. Harris" <apharris@onshore.com> writes:

> >In the /etc dir, I have three site-start dirs:
> >/etc/emacs/site-start.d, /etc/xemaxs/site-start-19.d, and
> >/etc/xemacs/site-start-20.d.  I haven't touched these dirs (except by
> >installing debs), and now I see their contents differ.  We need some
> >coordination here.
>
> What's uncoordinated?  Major Emacsen release versions are going to
> naturally have different localize configurations.   I think it would be
> more awkward to try to unify all these (though it could be done -- still,
> what package would the site-start.d files ship with?).

The problem here is not the emacsen packages, they don't put anything
in these site-start dirs. The problem is other packages that includes
elisp files. The command "dpkg -L dpkg-dev | grep etc.*emacs/site"
yields the following output on my (fairly recent hamm) system:

  /etc/emacs/site-start.d
  /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dpkg-dev.el
  /etc/xemacs/site-start-19.d
  /etc/xemacs/site-start-19.d/50dpkg-dev.el

Thus this package fails to put the file in /etc/xemacs/site-start-20.d
That is probably a bug in dpkg-dev, but how many emacsen are a package
maintainer supposed to take into account?

- Sten Anderson