Re: Taking over production of emacs20 package.

[You (Sten Anderson)]
>Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
>> Feel free to let me know if you have suggestions about how this
>> package should be handled.  I'm planning to cooperate with the xemacs
>> and emacs (19) package maintainers to make sure we support the
>> simultaneous installation of all three packages.

>I am not a developer, but I have a few comments.
>
>When I run dselect, I see some Emacs packages as seperate deb
>packages, e.g. auctex. Now, I prefer XEmacs, which includes auctex,
>but how could I know that? Either make such packages shared between
>GNU and XEmacs, or write in the control file: GNU Emacs only.

Ick.  Well that would break developer policy in the sense that you'd have
to pretty significantly hack on the stock XEmacs distibution (which
bundles all this) if you wanted to cut out these lisp packages.  And I
don't think it would be worth it since sometimes they are slightly
different versions.

Really, the way for a user to know is to either notice that the package
depends on Emacs19 (not XEmacs) and/or if there's a blurb in the
description that says that the package is part of XEmacs.  I'm pretty
sure most of the lisp packages already have this blurb; I encourage you
to go thru and check and submit bug report (wishlist items?) if not.

>In the /etc dir, I have three site-start dirs:
>/etc/emacs/site-start.d, /etc/xemaxs/site-start-19.d, and
>/etc/xemacs/site-start-20.d.  I haven't touched these dirs (except by
>installing debs), and now I see their contents differ.  We need some
>coordination here.

What's uncoordinated?  Major Emacsen release versions are going to
naturally have different localize configurations.   I think it would be
more awkward to try to unify all these (though it could be done -- still,
what package would the site-start.d files ship with?).

>The same problem applies to the site-lisp dirs in
>/usr/lib. Maybe the Debian Policy should be extended to cover the
>usage of these dirs.

In general, the place where the user should install local lisp files, if
I'm not mistaken, is /usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp.  Is this correct?
Probably all Emacsen should ship to include this dir on the lisp-library
path.

Debian puts package controlled but Debian-specific lisp packages in /usr/
lib/emacs/site-lisp, and these packages are considered common to all
packages (or else overriden).   Again, this is AFAIK.  I can't really
locate documentation for this.

I'm going to CC debian-policy list here.   I agree that the Emacs
directory issue needs to be formally documented, either in the packaging
manual or the policy.