crontab

Policy says:

 3.5. Cron jobs
 --------------

      Packages may not touch the configuration file `/etc/crontab', nor may
      they modify the files in `/var/spool/cron/crontabs'.

And it goes on to say, use /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly}. However, what
are we supposed to do if something needs to run more often? For example,
mrtg runs every 5 minutes, I think smail runs every 15 or so. So what are
these packages supposed to do?

I lookd at how smail currently does it: it uses the crontab command to add a
crontab for the mail user. However, it doesn't check to see if the mail user
already has a crontab. Seems very broken to me.

--
see shy jo