Re: crontab

Joey Hess wrote:
  >Policy says:
  >
  > 3.5. Cron jobs
  > --------------
  >
  >      Packages may not touch the configuration file `/etc/crontab', nor may
  >      they modify the files in `/var/spool/cron/crontabs'.
  >
  >And it goes on to say, use /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly}.

I had not noticed this; I created a crontab fragment in <package>/debian
for my package postgresql.  I use build to generate the binary packages.

Build produced this in tmp/DEBIAN/postinst:
# etc file modification generated by debmake Wed,  3 Dec 1997 00:19:27 +0000
if ! grep -q '#-- postgresql begin' /etc/crontab; then
        cat >>/etc/crontab <<EOF
#-- postgresql begin
0 4     * * *   postgres        /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance
#-- postgresql end
EOF
fi

So if  the policy is as stated, it is being violated by the package building
tools.

Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
with a £25 administration charge.