Statements of intend to start work on a package

I actually would like to have multiple packages offering the same
functionality in debian and I have released for example
multiple webservers and multiple MTAs with overlapping features.

I think the requirement for this discussion originated from a time when
the Debian project was quite small. Today it is not frequent to see
any "statements of intend" before packages are released.

Maybe we could say that it is recommended that bigger efforts be announced
and discussed on debian-devel?

The initial packaging of something might take less time than the
discussion on debian-devel. The discussion will be more fruitful regarding
the package if something concrete is already there.

IMHO it would be better if a preliminary package is required to be
released into experimental (such as deity) before discussing it on
debian-devel. We have enough discussion of vaporware on debian-devel and I
have the feeling that many developers are holding stuff back they are
working on.