Re: On Bruce Perens and Dave Cinege, etc.

M W Blunier wrote:
> On 27 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>

> > 	What problems are term limits supposed to solve, exactly?
>
> They prevent the voters from re-electing someone that due to his
> entrenchment in the system, has more power than a freshman would
> have.  Greedy and self serving voters vote for the incumbant not
> because is better for the larger comunity, but because he can use
> the power for the people that voted for them.

Hm.  I can't say I agree with this view.
The problem is that when someone has been leader for too long, it
becomes very difficult to imagine anyone else in that position.
How many Debian developers remember when Bruce was not project leader?

However, I don't think term limits are a good answer to this.  They're
much too harsh and inflexible.  It seems much better to simply count
it as a possible reason to vote for someone else this year.  I'm happy
with Bruce as project leader, but I worry that the project might come
to depend on him too much.