Re: abandoning the rules of discourse

Kai Henningsen wrote:

> fpolacco@icenet.fi (Fabrizio Polacco)  wrote on 23.10.97:
>
> > Disrespectful language and obscentity disqualify only those that use
> > them. Ignoring them is the right thing to do, IMO.
>
> IMO, it depends entirely on the situation.

Yes, it's true and I agree.
I suppose I should have written "the use of Disrespectful language and
obscentity with the aim of diminish the others ... disqualify only those
that use them."

> I don't think you can capture this in a simple rule.

In fact that's why I say that we should not rule this (in a "don't"
list).

> > * Don't insult other people.  Discussion should focus on technical
> > issues, not people.

I would put this in positive:
 * Insults move the focus of the discussion from the technical issue
   to other issues (like anatomy) that are not so interesting to
   people on this list.

> > * Don't insult other people's proposals.  If you have to resort to
> > insults, it makes your technical critique less effective and
> > discourages constructive participation.
> > Try assuming that the
> > other person simply has a different valid perspective or hasn't
> > had some experience which might change their mind.

 * Insult other people's proposals makes your technical critique less
   effective and discourages constructive participation. Try assuming
   that the other person simply has a different valid perspective or
   hasn't had some experience which might change their mind.

> > * Be courteous.  Try assuming the best of other list participants
> >   and try to minimize the risk of hurting other people's feelings
> >   when creating messages.
> >
> > If you feel someone is violating these guidelines to an extent
> > that is disruptive to the WG, you may use the traditional
> > technique of "shunning."
> > A mailing list participant is shunned by:
> >  (1) Assuming other list participants did not read posts by the
> >      offender
> >  (2) Never responding directly to posts by the offender
> >  (3) Never quoting text from posts by the offender
> >  (4) For extreme cases, you may privately encourage other list
> >      participants to shun the offender.
> > The purpose of shunning is to minimize disruption to the WG
> > without creating new administrative procedures or restricting
> > list participation.
> >
> > Shunning is a voluntary grassroots action.
> > The WG chair will not make a public post to this list encouraging
> > shunning of a specific individual.
> > The WG Chair will not deliberately ignore appropriate WG procedure
> > questions raised by any list participant.

I like this set of rules.
They don't impose anything while giving an effective way to isolate the
intruder.

Fabrizio