Re: tar files in example dirs

> Policy 2.3.0.0 section 5.7:
> >
> > Any examples (configurations, source files, whatever), should be
> > installed in a directory /usr/doc/package/examples. These files
> > should not be referenced by any program--they're there for the
> > benefit of the system administrator and users, as documentation only.
>
> Some packages (libtool and magicfilter on my bo machine) installs
> example files as example/foo.tar.gz
>
> IMO this practice should be forbitten by policy, because /usr/doc could
> be on a read-only or remotely mounted fs, and anyway untarring them in
> place could prevent correct upgrade or purge of the package.

Then don't untar them in place!

You seem to have the habit of doing a lot of things as root,
if you see this as a problem. General advice: don't do anything
as root, unless you have to (like shutdown or whatever). Then,
you'll notice quick enough that it's not that easy to untar
those tar files in place. Maybe you'll decide to cd /tmp before
you untar them, then.

Do we also have to forbid inclusion of .tex files (they generate
.dvi etc), or even .gz files[1]? No, I don't think so.

[1] Many of the .gz files (for example the executable ones) have to
    be unzipped before being usefull. So, your comment applies equally
    well to the .gz files. Even more so, as with gzip you have
    to specify extra options to unzip the file to a different dir.
    (gunzip -c /usr/doc/.../file.gz > /tmp/file)

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj