tar files in example dirs

Policy 2.3.0.0 section 5.7:

> Any examples (configurations, source files, whatever), should be
> installed in a directory /usr/doc/package/examples. These files
> should not be referenced by any program--they're there for the
> benefit of the system administrator and users, as documentation only.

Some packages (libtool and magicfilter on my bo machine) installs
example files as example/foo.tar.gz

IMO this practice should be forbitten by policy, because /usr/doc could
be on a read-only or remotely mounted fs, and anyway untarring them in
place could prevent correct upgrade or purge of the package.

I don't know if this topic has been already discussed (I don't remember
such discussion, but my memory isn't any more good as it used to be
thirty years ago), or even bugs raised.
If so, I apologize.

ciao,
fabrizio