Re: perl-base

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> >       e) move the modules from dpkg-perl to dpkg.
>
> No.  The dpkg package is already too bloated.  If we add dpkg-perl to it,
> then we should add dpkg-python too.  And then we have to update dpkg
> everytime we fiddle with the interfaces in these relatively immature
> packages.  We should try to minimize the number of updates to dpkg, since
> that makes it easier to trace back problems to a specific revision.

ok, that's reasonable.  If the interfaces were mature, they could go
with dpkg.  libdpkg is there.

> Personally, I'd like to see the dpkg package shrink.  dselect could be
> a separate package from dpkg.

A few of the larger things in dpkg should be dpkg-dev -
/usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/*
/usr/include/dpkg/*
/usr/lib/libdpkg.a

Moving those would knock about 1/3 off its size.  I'll file a bug
report.

Guy