Re: perl-base

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>
> >     a) place dpkg-perl into "base" and tag it "Essential"

That seems OK to me.  If dpkg and perl are essential, dpkg-perl
might as well be.

> >     b) move the modules from dpkg-perl into perl-base

No, because you then have to update the perl package everytime
you make a change in dpkg-perl.

> >     c) make tetex-* predepend on dpkg-perl

My understanding is that predepends are to be avoided.

> >     d) keep everything as it is now (i.e. use "dpkg -l")

Too slow.  But maybe dpkg -l should be made faster.

> I prefer:
>       e) move the modules from dpkg-perl to dpkg.

No.  The dpkg package is already too bloated.  If we add dpkg-perl to it,
then we should add dpkg-python too.  And then we have to update dpkg
everytime we fiddle with the interfaces in these relatively immature
packages.  We should try to minimize the number of updates to dpkg, since
that makes it easier to trace back problems to a specific revision.

Personally, I'd like to see the dpkg package shrink.  dselect could be
a separate package from dpkg.

Cheers,

 - Jim