Re: kde directory structure

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> look at dos and windows, if you want. spliting files by type is
> superior to spliting files by package. this is unix philosophy,
> and i don't see why we should change it now. we dont need to split
> files by package, our package manager is able to handle this.

I really don't like to see this discussion become a dos vs unix flame.
I haven't said that splitting by type isn't better that splitting by
package. I said that these are different goals of different subjects.

The os wants things splitted by type because this is optimal for their
use, and I agree completely.
But SW producer's goal is different, and I don't think that we should
oblidge them to follow our scheme.
The /opt proposal keeps boths goals. Isolate SW packages in a hierarchy
reserved for use to the SW producer, AND installs splitting by type
using symlinks and wrapppers.

fabrizio