Re: kde directory structure

On Sat 20 Sep 1997, Manong Dibos wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > >Sorry to bother debian-private with a discussion that belongs to
> > >debian-devel or debian-policy (I've set the Reply-To:), but I repeat
> > >myself saying that you should put all under /opt/kde and not /usr/kde or
> > >all spreaded into several places. !!
> > >We had X11 and emacs doing that and wasn't so nice.
>
> Here are some other things that belong in /opt...

no. they don't belong into /opt (IMO)

reason :
when i switched from dos to unix, the first thin i saw is the different
directoy structure. unix splits by type (bin,sbin,...) and not py
package. the only exceptions are :
 - historic (X11R6)
 - minimal boot system (root file system)

/usr/local and /opt are created because you have no influence over what
a local administrator or a different software company does, and this is
the only way to avoid collision. both solutions only exist, because
there was no better way.

no we have a better way : packet management.
both, /usr/local and /opt are kept for kompatibility, and because not
everyone uses a packet manager (or the same packet manager).

look at dos and windows, if you want. spliting files by type is superior
to spliting files by package. this is unix philosophy, and i don't see
why we should change it now. we dont need to split files by package, our
package manager is able to handle this.

andreas