Re: debian directory structure

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> i think it's time for a general discussion :
> where should debian place files ? /usr/local is local, so we should
> not touch it.

Right, agreed. If we all agree, I think we can drop /usr/local from our
discussion, just to keep things simpler.

> but there are several big packages, that could go into /opt.
>
> current policy is the hardest way : everything in /usr, nothing in
> /opt. we should discuss whether we want to keep this hard line, and
> if we weaken our policy, how we should decide if a package should
> go in /opt or not.

yes. I think that is a "high policy" to decide what goes in /usr and
what in /opt, and why. (we already know of /usr/local)

> fsstnd sais nothing about /opt, the proposed addition talks about
> "add-on application software packages". i could not find a fhs draft.

I took the liberty of sending you (Andreas), in a separate message, the
may97 draft of fhs2.0, the latest I've grabbed from Quinlan's ftp site.
>From Christian's words I suppose that he has it.
Dan Quinlan doesn't like that the draft goes distributed and/or quoted
untill it's released, but we should have something on which to start.
I hope that Dan is reading us and enter the discussion.

> this is not a debian problem. i talked to people from 3 other
> distributions, and they have the same problems
> (suse,delix,lst/caldera).

This is very interesting, because the problem is really not specific to
debian. Can them join us here or should we move the discussion
elsewhere, maybe to fhs-discuss (and subscribing that mailing list, I
really didn't want to shut Christian out (how can you think that?))

> current way works better than expected - i got kde to fit into /usr.

Yes, if the package organization is well thought and the program is
intended for Unix, then this is quite like to happen. Think of packages
created for Windows NT with Unix as a port (V++ GUI, jade, ...).

Well, let's enter the core ...
[after written the message I have edited it and split it in a separate
message, so ... read it, keeping seriously the initial suggestion]

cheers,
Fabrizio