Re: debian directory structure

Hi,
>>"Andreas" == Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:

 Andreas> i think it's time for a general discussion : where should
 Andreas> debian place files ? /usr/local is local, so we should not
 Andreas> touch it. but there are several big packages, that could go
 Andreas> into /opt.

 Andreas> current policy is the hardest way : everything in /usr,
 Andreas> nothing in /opt. we should discuss whether we want to keep
 Andreas> this hard line, and if we weaken our policy, how we should
 Andreas> decide if a package should go in /opt or not.

	Are we talking opinions here? My opinion would be in favour of
 the hard line.

 Andreas> fsstnd sais nothing about /opt, the proposed addition talks
 Andreas> about "add-on application software packages". i could not
 Andreas> find a fhs draft.

	I think this discussion should be postponed until we have at
 least a draft of fhs to base this on. It is not as if there is any
 particular hurry about this.

 Andreas> this is not a debian problem. i talked to people from 3
 Andreas> other distributions, and they have the same problems
 Andreas> (suse,delix,lst/caldera).

 Andreas> andreas p.s.: current way works better than expected - i got
 Andreas> kde to fit into /usr.

	So technically, there is no reason yet to change.

	manoj

--
 JOB PLACEMENT: Telling your boss what he can do with your job.