Re: Debian/Linux not recognizing Handspring Visor

On 2002-01-06 Don Napier wrote:

> I am thinking that it is a hardware problem, which would be beyond the
> scope of this mailing list (I think.) Maybe the cradle is busted, my
> mobo is not liking the Handspring, or (*checking BOFH server*) /dev/clue
> was linked to /dev/null.
>
> When I hotsync, something should appear in /var/log/messages, but
> nothing happens.  So, I'm going to do some more testing.  I'll keep you
> kids informed.

First of all, did you enable the USB stuff either in the kernel or as
modules?  During kernel configuration, you should select "USB Serial
Converter support" and "USB Handspring Visor Driver" from the "USB
support" menu.

If compiled as module, create a /etc/modules/usb file containing the
following line, then run update-modules:

	alias char-major-188 visor

Then when pressing the sync button on your craddle you should see lines
such as:

	usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring Visor
	visor.c: v1.2:USB HandSpring Visor driver

in /var/log/messages.

(Read the Documentation/usr/usb-serial.txt file for more information
about the USB serial stuff in the kernel.)

Hope this helps,

Andréas