Re: pocket pc

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:37:03PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
> Adam William Lydick <awlydick@bulldog.unca.edu> writes:
> > This is obviously not palmOS related ;-) But I couldn't think of a better
> > debian list for it. Anyone had any luck with the compaq iPaq and
> > transfering files, etc (preferably over USB)?

>   A colleague just showed me his iPaq. Running Debian! My jaw dropped.
>   He was using this QT interface instead of X. It was very, very weird
>   to run `ls' from a shell window on a handheld.

>     http://intimate.handhelds.org/>

>   Now we know why Debian puts out an ARM release. Because we are cool.

Yeah, I just picked one up.  No microdrive, but I got a compact flash
network card for it.  Put familiar on it.  Works ok, the character
recognition needs a bit of work.  They need a vector based one, this 9
point stuff is pretty bad.

Familiar will run any binary from the debian arm distribution.  You
can put real debian on it if you want to buy a microdrive.  (I did
replace "wget" with "snarf" from debian and tweak the package manager
to use it, to save a bunch of space.)

Stock familiar comes with gtk libraries and python.  Also has pump and
ssh, so if you stick a net card in there you can ssh in.

All in all a neat toy, dunno if I'll do anything useful with it though.

Steve
dunham@debian.org