[Newbie] A few questions on using a Pilot with Linux

Folks,

Thanks again for the emails last August when I was contemplating to buy a
Visor. I especially appreciated the hints about the TRGpro I had not been
aware of before. I finally caved in and bought a Visor 10 days ago and quite
like it. A have a couple of innocent questions, any type of feedback would
be appreciated:

a) coldsync -- I was unable to compile this on the 2.2.17pre18 kernel I used
to get USB support. Did anybody else manage to use this with a Visor?

b) I just tried the kpilot package (for stable) which didn't sync at all.
Again, anybody out here using it with a Visor in the USB cradle?  BTW jpilot
and pilot-link work just fine.

c) I'd be grateful for pointers to decent GPL ware. A few good things are on
a page by Mitch Blevins, who lists his @debian.org address. Is he still
around?

d) Related to c), I could load the home page of Tom Dyas who appears to have
written a simple database called DB. Would anybody happen to have the tarball?

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips.

Regards, Dirk