Re: PPP connection? Palm IIIs? Getty?

Well, I promised so send some information to the list. Sorry, but it seems
that I forgot. I found out that my pilot runs only at 19200 speed with my
PC, otherwise the connection fails. Maybe this helps, but I wrote down the
rest of my configuration for those who want to try it.

My configuration: (well, I have a german Pilot 2.0.5 Pro -- I tried to
translate the names, but they may differ from the names on an english
Pilot)

1. I don't have getty running on my serial port

2. I configure my pilot
 - user: <should not be important>
 - password: <should not be important>
 - telephone number: 00 (means: no dialing)
 - Details: PPP as connection type, get IP-Adress automatically, Script:
   none

3. I set up IP-Masquerading. All traffic from the net 192.168.3.0 will be
forwarded & masqueraded.

(this works with a 2.2 kernel)
ipchains -I forward -j MASQ -p all -s 192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0

(this _should_ work with a 2.0 kernel)
ipfwadm -I -p accept
ipfwadm -O -p accept
ipfwadm -F -p accept -m

4. Entry to /etc/hosts, otherwise i.e. in.telnetd will be unable to
resolve the IP-address of the pilot and will not connect

192.168.3.1 <computername>
192.168.3.2 <pilotname>

5. I start pppd using the following syntax:

I noticed, that I needed to set my transfer rate to 19200 -- I can't
figure out why I can't use a higher rate. I also set my modem's rate on
the pilot to 19200.

pppd /dev/pilot 19200 192.168.3.1:192.168.3.2 proxyarp passive silent
  persist noauth local nodetach ms-dns <dns1> ms-dns <dns2>

192.168.3.1 will be the address of the the ppp stack of the linux box,
192.168.3.2 will be the address of the pilot. 192.168.x.x are local
networks, and they are not valid on the internet. Enter your providers DNS
addresses as <dns1> and <dns2>.

I got this settings from a FAQ, sad that I can't remember which FAQ. All I
know is that these settings work.

6. I tested it using topgun telnet -- I can telnet my local PC using
192.168.3.1 and I can telnet any other computer on our local lan using
masquerading.

Well, I hope it is correct and I hope it is clear what I mean. And now the
disclaimer: messing with your pcs firewall/masquerading settings can
breach your security.

If there are questions, just e-mail me.

Alex.

--