Re: Photo management

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 01:26:13PM +0200, Bob van der Kamp wrote:
> I am wondering though why a web interface is not sufficient for
> 10.000+ photos. If the GUI is good enough (IMHO not more than 4

It just wouldn't be fast enough. Do you want to wait seconds for an
image to zoom in?

> options in a screen :) and the database consists of some fast way to
> handle thumbnails or scaling a web-interface is good enough for me.
> Flickr is an option I think. It is certainly not the greatest
> interface (one thing is there are a lot of screens with more than 4
> options :) I spent a lot of time to learn it, but it works for me.

Flickr is a good place to publish after editing. I have 14Gb of JPG+RAW
from a recent holiday (3 weeks) though and it's not practical to upload
all of that to a web site to start editing it.

> Picasa does it for me (10.000+ photos) for archiving. It is blazingly
> fast and gives some flexibility on storing the database. I am also

I found the UI to be reasonably bugging with the Wine layer. Perhaps the
2.7 release is better (I tried a beta). It's nice on Windows I agree,
although it does like to store data in a database making it difficult to
move data between computers.

> I will take some time to try DigiKam. That' one of the reasons why I
> am a Debian Zealot. Its desktop does KDE and Gnome both...

I'm use digikam within GNOME and quite liking it. I would prefer a
native app though and I'm developing a decent wishlist.

There's a lot of active development going on in digikam. However a fair
bit of that development is going into their photo editor. I think it
could just use Gimp instead, or eog or gthumb or some other existing
tool. I wonder how difficult it would be to write just the photo
management portion for GNOME in PyGTK etc?

Rather than starting a new project I should catch up on editing my
existing photos first :-|

Hamish