Re: Photo management

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 06:35:44PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I'm a bit at a loss as far as photo management is concerned. Some
> requirements:
>
> * I want my original image files to be stored intact. I don't want them
> rotated, or their headers modified, or anything like that. If I really
> have to, I can live with headers being edited, but I'd rather not have
> to.
>
> * I need to handle both JPEGs and RAW images (Canon's, currently).
>
> * I want flexibility as to where the image files are stored. At 10-15
> megabytes each, requiring me to have them on, say, a particular
> computer's home directory is not good. It's enough if I can point the
> photo management software to a directory of my own choosing, though.
>
> I strongly prefer GNOME over KDE or other desktop alternatives. The
> first software to try has thus been F-Spot, and that has many good
> features. It's not to my liking, though. It seems to insist on ~/Photos
> as the location, which is a highly inconvenient location for me.

Change it.  See the preferences.

> It's
> also not happy about sharing the database between computers. It has
> historically liked to modify my image files, though I don't know if that
> still happens. I am sometimes confused by the interface: it shows one
> list of photos after importing, and then a full list at some point, but
> I'm not sure when it changes and why.

As I understand it the list of photo's shown after import is shown to
give you the opportunity to tag the batch. That tag will appear under
'import tags'.  It is a filtered view similar to when you select a tag.

> The alternative I've been pondering is just keeping all photos on disk,
> in folders named by date, with maybe a text file per folder to add
> description. I've done this before, and it was somewhat tedious, but at
> least it is low-tech enough to not otherwise be troublesome, and the
> data has longevity, unlike binary database blobs.

There are other alternatives.  You can use Picasa, digikam and several
others. Each one has it strengths and weaknesses. You can also try
Photo Organiser. It is not a debian package but you will find it on
http://freshmeat.net.  It is a php-package which uses postgresql for
it's database.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not
      of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works,
      lest any man should boast."   Ephesians 2:8,9