Re: Photo management

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:38:28AM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On ma, 2008-04-21 at 09:09 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> > There are other alternatives.  You can use Picasa, digikam and several
> > others.
>
> Picasa is not free software. Digikam is for KDE, not GNOME. The others?
> I'll have to find them first...

Does KDE versus GNOME matter? I've just started using digikam on GNOME
and I find it works reasonably well. Some things do behave differently,
which is confusing (KDE seems to prefer single-click rather than double
for some actions). "Move to trash" moves to the KDE trash rather than
GNOME's (why isn't this standardised?). However I don't think it's a big
problem.

digikam works with your directory structure primarily with tags being
orthogonal to that. This makes much more sense to me than F-Spot which
is completely tags-based and no interest in albums or directory
structure.

digikam does like to copy all your photos into a ~/Pictures/ hierarchy.
I'm not sure why this is important to it.

It does keep an SQLite database but I'm not sure what's in it. Captions
appear to be written out to xml files alongside the images (though they
could be in IPTC embedded meta-data). Ratings, tags etc could also be in
meta-data.

These are my observations so far. There are plenty of things I'm not
happy about but it's the best open source solution I've found yet.

Hamish