Re: Introduction And Request for Help

On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 10:56:46 +0200, Mikko Johannes Koivunalho wrote:

> Hi All,

Hi Mikko!

> I have a few packages at CPAN.
> Recently, I created a package, Env::Assert
> <https://metacpan.org/dist/Env-Assert> which I used at the office when
> creating containers for data pipelines.

Alright :)

> To make it easier to use Env::Assert in Debian containers, I would like to
> package it for Debian. But I know nothing about Debian packaging, besides,
> of course, using them (installing with apt or dpkg).
> Can anyone help me to package Env::Assert, please?

I think the question is: What is your objective?
- If you want to learn creating Debian packages and join the Debian
  Perl Group and maintain 4000 packages -- great, we need more
  people!
- If you want to get Env::Assert into Debian, the easiest way is to
  ask us to package it :)

If it's the latter: I just spent 2 minutes with dh-make-perl and
Env::Assert, and if I spend 5 minutes more, I can upload the package
to the archive. [0]

If it's the former: Additionally to Andrius' hints we can give you
more pointers for getting into the packaging business.

[0] Although I just realize that this might be better named envassert
than libenv-assert-perl, as it's more about the binary than the
library, right?

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe