Re: Help needed with perl-tk NMU

-=| Damyan Ivanov, 11.09.2020 12:08:04 +0300 |=-
> I tried the "new upstream release" route because otherwise there
> would be several patches to import, one of them adding 10k-lines
> ppport.h
>
> The result is at https://salsa.debian.org/dmn/perl-tk and builds with
> per 5.32. There are many lintian/hardening warnings, but since this is
> a NMU, the changes are bare minimum.
>
> I haven't tested the resulting package yet, will have to find a way
> to do so without disturbing the rest of the system. (perhaps
> docker+vnc would help).

I got around to try this and the results seem acceptable to me.

All the examples seemed OK.

I tried two packages that depend on perl-tk: nama and mapivi.

nama seemed OK to me - no crashes, some windows appeared with menus
buttons etc.

mapivi worked OK as long as no unicode was involved. It is a JPEG
viewer with a file browser and unicode directory names are shown as
latin1 garbage. When trying to open such a directory it complains on
the console with 'Cannot cd to /path/to/spëcial: No such file or
directory at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.32/Tk/DirTree.pm'. This
problem is also present in the version in unstable so it is not
a regression.

Please tell me if there is another test I should perform.

Would uploading to delayed-7 in a week or so be in line with the plans
for the arrival of 5.32 to unstable?

Cheers,
    dam