Re: Updating Debian Perl group team page

Hi,

As promised, here's a proposal (in attachment) for redesigning the Perl group's team and home pages.

The goal for the moment is to show how these 2 pages could be re-designed to better differenciate their respective purposes (ie: the homepage is for reference, more static, information, while the team page is more for work documents). So, please try to focus on this objective at the moment (though all comments are welcome anyway).

Here's my current list of pending questions and todo. Please feel free to update:

* Questions

    1) Should we still reference PET? (Is PET ever going to be used again? => update https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/changelog.html accordingly
    2) Is this still used?: https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/qa/ => update accordingly
    3) I would like to move the welcome pages to the team's website rather than keeping them in the wiki. What do you think? => update accordingly
    4) What's the purpose of this link: "Debian Perl Group on Launchpad (also has a mailing list for bugs in Ubuntu) " => update accordingly (currently removed from the proposal)
    5) What's the purpose of linking to https://packages.debian.org/sid/dh-make-perl on the team page? wouldn't it be better to link to a man-like page (as done for other pages like forward.html or git.html)? => update accordingly
    6) What's the purpose of pkg-perl-tools (it seems to hold important information)? (ah ok, I found the info in its control file => wouldnt' it be good to create a README.md file at the root of this repo?) => update accordingly

TODO

    1) Keep documents in sync with what can be found in other repo (eg: pkg-perl-tools).
        I guess it would require and update to the update-website script in the perl-team.pages.debian.net package.
        I believe I could create a new branch for this purpose.

Best regards,

Cyrille

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:27 PM Alex Muntada <alexm@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Cyrille,

> > Alternativelly, we can start making a raw list of improvements
> > and issues that need to be addressed and we can work from that,
> > which it seems to me that should be easier to prepare than a
> > full proposal. Whatever works best for you.
>
> I think an even easier approach is to work incrementaly so that
> it's not too much effort spent if at anytime one of my proposal
> doesn't fit the needs and I need to revert to the previous
> proposal.

Fully agreed, I was just curious to know whether you had compiled
a list of issues.

Cheers!
Alex

--