Re: Membership ping 2016: results

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 10:29:14 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> > gregor herrmann:
> >> - During the BoF at DebConf there was also the idea of giving the
> >>   list of removed accounts to the MIA team. I'm a bit unsure here, as
> >>   not working on pkg-perl currently doesn't mean that someone is
> >>   inactive in Debian in general but I'm open to proposals on how to
> >>   proceed here.
> I think it is appropriate to report all of the folks who bounced or
> didn't respond to the MIA team, but not anyone who replied.

The case with the bounces is a bit difficult. We sent the mails to
$login@users.alioth.debian.org; so what we have now is a mix of
- bounces of retired DDs where the old account still exists on Alioth
  but the forward to $login@debian.org doesn't work any more (Alioth
  bug maybe, but no MIA material);
- some cases of recipient callout verification errors where it's not
  clear to me where the problem is as there are at least three mail
  servers involved (my smarthost, alioth, the receiving one);
- and the rest which can be a simple misconfiguration of a person's
  alioth forward, or something else ...

For the no-reply cases:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:28:23 +0100, Dave Walker wrote:

> Uhm,
> For me, I didn't respond because I have moved on to other things and the
> original announcement said no-response would be considered leave by
> inaction.

Perfectly fine!

> I didn't see the point in cluttering someones mailbox when an intentional
> non-response was acceptable.  I am sure I am not the only one.  So I think
> it would be a mistake to assume people that didn't respond are MIA.

Right, thanks for confirming my gut feeling that a non-repsonse here
is not really useful as an MIA indicator.

 .''`.  Homepage https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key 0xBB3A68018649AA06
 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Omara Portuondo: Ausencia