Re: "remote origin already exists" when running dpt alioth-repo

On Sun, Jun 07, 2015 at 10:10:12AM +0100, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> As per the git guide ("pushing to git.debian.org"), I'm running "dpt
> alioth-repo" to push my new DPKG::Parse sources to git.debian.org
>
> However, the following happens:
>
> # dpt alioth-repo
> Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/id_rsa':

I didn't spot anyone mentione it elsewhere in the thread; I really
recommend not doing package development as root - firstly because as
a general principle it's best not to run as root when not needed, but
in particular so that you don't get bitten by accidentally installing
things into /usr during package development (for example due to
missing/badly handled PREFIX/DESTDIR. Aside from the chroot management
(and tools like sbuild and pbuilder should handle this for you) and
installing test versions of packages, there's no reason to use the root
account at all during most package development workflows.

Cheers,
Dominic.