uscan vs CPAN signatures inside tar ball (was: Minutes of the Debian Perl Team BoF at DebConf: Friday, 2015-08-21, 13 UTC [origin: gregoa@debian.org])

Hi Daniel,

gregor herrmann wrote:
> > Tomorrow we'll have our annual BoF at DebConf:
> > https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/2015-08-20/
> > starting at 15:00 local time (CEST; = 13:00 UTC) in room "Amsterdam".
>
> The meeting happened as planned, and was again both nice and
> constructive. There were 10 people present physically and 3 remotely.
>
> Thanks to all participants and especially to Harlan for taking
> perfect minutes on the fly which are pasted below.
[...]
> The CPAN signature verification was discussed.  XTaran volunteered to
> discuss the ability to match signatures with dkg.
>
> RESOLVED:  XTaran will discuss signature verification with dkg.

So let's do that. Since intri seems interested, too, I decided to Cc
all debian-perl@l.d.o as I'd anyways have to write something about
that to the team.

There exists the Module::Signature (packaged as
libmodule-signature-perl) which…

| adds cryptographic authentications to CPAN distributions, via the
| special SIGNATURE file.

(Citation from https://metacpan.org/pod/Module::Signature#DESCRIPTION)

More from that page which explains a little bit how the workflow is
being expected:

| If you are a module user, all you have to do is to remember to run
| cpansign -v (or just cpansign) before issuing perl Makefile.PL or
| perl Build.PL; that will ensure the distribution has not been
| tampered with.
|
| Module authors can easily add the SIGNATURE file to the distribution
| tarball; […]
|
| If you really want to sign a distribution manually, simply add
| SIGNATURE to MANIFEST, then type cpansign -s immediately before make
| dist. Be sure to delete the SIGNATURE file afterwards.

I would be cool if uscan could also check this kind of signatures as
they seem to be PGP-based, too.

I wonder how difficult it will be to add support for this to uscan.
And I wonder what would be a sane watch file syntax extension to cover
these kind of signatures. Or should it be just done automatically? If
so, based on what?

Daniel: Have you by chance looked into this already? If not, any
expectations how easy or difficult it could be to add such support to
uscan based on your pgpsigurlmangle work on uscan?

There's btw. also https://metacpan.org/pod/Test::Signature but that
seems to be targetted towards CPAN distribution authors so that an
according check is made inside the CPAN distribution's test suite. But
IMHO this is far too late for our purpose.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin