Re: packages with changes unrelased for a long time

Hi,

gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 01:00:30 +0200, Alex Muntada wrote:
> > Now I'm wondering whether
> > in cases like this it makes sense to upload the latest changes
> > to the benefit of all users, even there's been no update in the
> > upstream code at all.

It definitely makes sense.

> IIRC Axel has started an initative to modernize and upload "old"
> packages but he was busy enough to get the <=2006 generation (or
> something like that) covered :)

Actually my wording[0] was "not uploaded for more than 6 years". So
I'm now targetting everything with last upload in 2008/2009 or
earlier.

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks#Recurring_tasks

> I think in general it boils down to resources: If someone manages to
> keep an eye on and update "old" packages, and if we together manage
> to keep on track with more pressing needs (like 380 packages with new
> upstream releases at the moment), then all is fine.

One of my plans for DebCamp is to do another "modernize packages
with no upload in 6 years" round. Of course anyone is welcome to join
me.

My other DebCamp plans are to finish my DUCK vs pkg-perl quest as well
as the moving of some lintian tests from pkg-perl-tools to lintian
proper.

> IOW: go ahead and prepare an upload for the affected packages :)

P.S.: There is a script to identify these packages in scripts.git
called sort_unreleased_packages.git

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin