Re: First pkg-perl package with DEP-8 test suite

Hi,

gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 16:29:44 +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > just a short notice that I've seem to have uploaded the first pkg-perl
> > maintained package with an autopkgtest compatible DEP-8 test suite:
>
> Yay :)
>
> > The tests I added should basically be adoptable to all packages whose
> > upstream testsuite doesn't do "use lib qw(lib)" or similar.
>
> I still think that it would be nice to have a standard set of tests
> in a separate package instead of spelling them out in each individual
> package. Cf. the thread starting at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2013/12/msg00064.html

Definitely. And the tests I wrote are generic enough to be a base for
such tests, at least for some subset of our packages. (The adequate
test is definitely generic enough to be suited for nearly any package.
See the discussion about some potential caveats in
https://bugs.debian.org/743198)

I think the XS-Testsuite header is the key there. If we don't specify
"autopkgtest" there, but let's say "pkg-perl-test-prove-without-lib".
And potential package could contain the test suite for all pkg-perl
packages which don't use "use lib" in their test-suite and can be run
with "prove".

There's also some space for improvements in the tests I committed so
far, like using @ instead of the binary package name to make the
current test even more generic. (See
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=autopkgtest/autopkgtest.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/README.package-tests;hb=HEAD
for details.)

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin