Re: Proposed mass bug filing: /usr/lib/perl5 is changing with Perl 5.20

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 11:39:34AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Build-Depends on perl (>= 5.20) would make the transition smooth for
>> users and the buildds.  The only drawback I can think of is that you'd
>> have to revert that and the path change when backporting.

> I'm not sure that a Build-Depends is needed.  I think we want to
> avoid that if it's not needed.

It depends on how much you care about making it easy to backport.  I agree
that it complicates matters for backports, since that change would have to
be reverted for backports.  But, apart from that issue, I don't see the
drawback.  These packages Build-Depend on perl anyway, and versioning that
dependency ensures the new directory structure is available and allows for
very simple package build rules.

This is a lot like the problem with converting libraries to multiarch.
You can do complex things to ensure that the library source package can
build with or without multiarch, which eases backporting to squeeze, but I
found it easier to just change the source package to assume multiarch and
move forward.  For those packages I backported, I just branched and
reverted those changes.