Re: Post-commit hook got confused and sent mail to old bugs

-=| Dominic Hargreaves, 13.03.2013 11:34:43 +0000 |=-
> The problem isn't that they were archived, but that they shouldn't
> have received mail from the script at all, as they related to "old"
> changelog entries.

The script parses the commit log, not debian/changelog, but I agree
that it reacting to old, already published commits is bad.

> From your response I guess that the current behaviour is "expected"

for some value of "expected" :)

> but should we not change things to disable the behaviour when a new
> branch is pushed? IOW, only do the tagging when on 'master'.

That would work for the most common case (working on master), but
would fail when new work is done on a new branch, for example for
stable or security update.

Perhaps the commit walking could be tuned to not go through commits in
existing branches. I did something similar in the KGB Git client, and
it was a terrible mess :/

The commit walking is done in the post-receive hook,
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/meta.git;a=blob;f=pkg-perl-post-receive;hb=HEAD
from line 20.

It needs to be changed to something like "give me all commits in these
branch updates, not showing commits on other, not-updated branches",
like

 git rev-list $new_rev1 $new_rev2… \
    ^$old_rev1 ^$old_rev2… \
    ^$not_touched_branch1 ^$not_touched_branch2…

I'll try to implement something, please excuse any breakage :)