Re: Post-commit hook got confused and sent mail to old bugs

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 07:38:10AM +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> -=| Dominic Hargreaves, 13.03.2013 00:24:04 +0000 |=-
> > This evening I pushed a new branch, dom/squeeze-702821 to the
> > libapache2-mod-perl2 repo on git.debian.org. This caused several
> > unexpected emails to be sent, the bounces for which I attach for
> > reference. Something about this event (the branch name? I can't
> > imagine it happens with all branches not called master, unless it's
> > a recent change) caused old changelog message to be processed again.
> > Could someone who is familiar with how the post-commit hook works have
> > a look?
>
> The script is called git-tag-pending-bugs and is in the scripts.git
> repository on git.debian.org
> (http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/scripts.git).
>
> It works by parsing the log of the received commits and looking for
> 'closes: #nnnn' (and variants) in them.
>
> As far as I see the mail is sent blindly and there is no check whether
> the bug is still alive.
>
> Is there an easy way to discover if a given bug is already archived?
> Not sure if using BTS's SOAP interface counts as "easy" :)

The problem isn't that they were archived, but that they shouldn't have
received mail from the script at all, as they related to "old" changelog
entries.

>From your response I guess that the current behaviour is "expected"
but should we not change things to disable the behaviour when a new
branch is pushed? IOW, only do the tagging when on 'master'.