Re: upstream-vcs

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 16:30:13 +0100, intrigeri wrote:

> gregor herrmann wrote (23 Dec 2013 03:06:30 GMT) :
> > - Then everyone has to "git remote add && git fetch" ...
> It's probably quite doable to have mr do this for us (ideally, in both
> git_checkout and git_update, so that info added into debian/upstream
> after my initial clone is used).

I guess the "remote add" part should be covered when the scripts I
added are good enough for everyday use.

Adding the "fetch" part to our fancy .mrconfig sounds like a good
idea!

At least for the _update part, not sure if the _checkout needs it as
well and it could grow a bit complicated; but this could call
dpt-upstream-repo, if we want this "depencency".

And for _update: this should be something like

if git remote show | grep -qx upstream-repo; then git fetch upstream-repo; fi

added to our git_update() definition, right?

> > - And then, the very general question: What does this buy us? At
> >   first glance, tracking upstream git sounds very sexy but what are
> >   the concrete advantages?
> >   Having all upstream commits locally is nice to step through them;
> >   adding fixes is not so trivial, at least (in my understanding) 'git
> >   cherry-pick' doesn't work as long as we are using quilt patches;
> >   and 'git format-patch' and adding the file under debian/patches is
> >   not much easier than downloading the patch from github or
> >   wherever.
>
> I have been tracking upstream Git for a while in the GTK/Glib/etc.
> stack of modules, and I find it useful to:
> 1. Cherry-pick upstream bugfixes into my gbp-pq branch.

Ha, I had this in mind before writing my mail but forgot about that
aspect :)

(Which leads once again to the question of our patch handling in
git.)

> 2. Review upstream changes one commit at a time at "import new
>    upstream version" time, instead of having the full diff to review.
>    More often than not, at least with the upstreams I'm talking of
>    here, commit messages have additional information (e.g. links to
>    GNOME's bugzilla) that Changes lacks.

Right, that's what I meant by "step through ... commits" above.

> 3. Ease (more or less manual) bisecting, e.g. the one I'm currently
>    doing on Glib::Object::Introspection.

Ok.

> Thanks a lot for working on this!

Thanks for your ideas as well :)