Re: Multiarching perl

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 07:12:05PM +0100, Wookey wrote:

> Does this mean you have some kind of patch for this stuff? Even if
> it's pretty raw, it should save me/riku some time on knocking up a
> multiarch package to test with. And it would help me grok some of
> what's been discussed.

Yeah. Sorry for the delay, I have serious trouble finding the time for
this stuff.

I managed something of a sprint on it a month or so ago, then got stuck
thinking about the wider implications on the perl part of the archive.

I've pushed the current state on the 'ntyni/multiarch-5.14' branch of
 git://git.debian.org/perl/perl.git

This is work in progress, no guarantees about not rewriting history yet.

I've tried to grok the multiarch specs better, but I'm still not sure if
perl-base needs to be M-A:allowed or M-A:foreign, and how the perlapi-*
ABI version specification fits into this.

In the wider view, do we need to (eventually) add M-A tags on all the perl
module packages in the archive to make things like a foreign architecture
irssi perl plugin generally usable? Can an arch:all perl module package
be M-A:foreign? What if it depends on an arch:any perl module package?
And so forth.

I'll try to get a more coherent writeup on this together in a non-glacial
time frame, but no promises.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org