Re: Thinking of putting together some Perl module packages

gregor herrmann writes ("Re: Thinking of putting together some Perl module packages"):
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:15:00 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Obviously given the stage of the release these should probably go to
> > experimental.
>
> Hm? New packages can go to unstable, they don't affect the
> freeze/release/testing in any way.

Well, I guess.  Unless it should happen that something related to the
release would need to use the new packages which I suppose is very
unlikely.  unstable it is then.

> > I found this git-based packaging walkthrough
> >  http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/git.html
> > Is that a good place to start ?
>
> Depends if you want to maintain the packages in the pkg-perl group or
> on yourself. In the first case this git.html and
> http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/policy.html are the two important
> documents; in the latter case feel free anyway to use all our
> documentation :)

I'm very happy to work as part of the perl team.  That will help give
me the benefit of your oversight, since this is a new area for me.

> > Is there anything I should watch out
> > for ?  Should I try to bundle several cpan modules into a single
> > package ?
>
> Please don't; bundle packages are a major pain to maintain, since
> there is no (at least no easy to use) infrastructure for
> updating/building/... several modules in one package. We're trying to
> get rid of the bundles we have for this reason.

Right.

Ian.