Re: Thinking of putting together some Perl module packages

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:15:00 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I've got involved in repraps[1] and one of the pieces of software I'm
> trying to use[2] depends on some not-yet-packaged perl modules from
> CPAN:
[..]
> Obviously given the stage of the release these should probably go to
> experimental.

Hm? New packages can go to unstable, they don't affect the
freeze/release/testing in any way.

> I found this git-based packaging walkthrough
>  http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/git.html
> Is that a good place to start ?

Depends if you want to maintain the packages in the pkg-perl group or
on yourself. In the first case this git.html and
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/policy.html are the two important
documents; in the latter case feel free anyway to use all our
documentation :)

> Is there anything I should watch out
> for ?  Should I try to bundle several cpan modules into a single
> package ?

Please don't; bundle packages are a major pain to maintain, since
there is no (at least no easy to use) infrastructure for
updating/building/... several modules in one package. We're trying to
get rid of the bundles we have for this reason.

   `-   NP: Rod Stewart: Forever Young