Re: Perl 4-era libraries

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 06:21:03PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> It probably makes sense at this stage to try and encourage people to
> move away from the libraries rather than just adding the dependency on
> libperl4-corelibs-perl;

I've already patched libcgi-pm-perl to not use shellwords.pl anymore, but
that was easy given that the only function it exports has been integrated
in the core module Text::ParseWords (the patch [0] is just two lines). Same
for find.pl (replaced by File::Find).

But what about e.g. termcap.pl? It defines some quite big functions. Are
there any known alternatives for them that would require as little work as
possible to convert to? And flush.pl? It's just two little functions, should
we copy them in the modules that use them? Etc...

Of course, in those cases we may just add the (Build-)Depends on
libperl4-corelibs-perl and the problems would end there, but I was wondering
whether someone has thought of this already and provided alternative
solutions so that we can get rid of libperl4-corelibs-perl completely. We
may track such "known fixes" in the wiki/website/whatever too.

Cheers

[0] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libcgi-pm-perl.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/do-not-use-shellwords.patch;h=85e58c0f3b41dd507698cd96a8bfac4ee541c554;hb=HEAD

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'