Re: Advice on libpgplot-perl

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 03:13:12PM -0500, Carlo Segre wrote:
> libpgplot-perl is a contrib package which depends on pgplot5 from
> the non-free section..  Since it requires pgplot5 installed in order
> to build, it never is properly built in the regular autobuilding
> network.
>
> I have been unable to keep close watch on the non-free build network
> but it was shut down at one point and I am not sure if it is back up
> or not, but it seems to me that a package such as libpgplot-perl
> should be moved to non-free so it has a chance to be built using the
> non-free autobuilders.  If we keep it in contrib, it will have to be
> built by hand on all architectures every time it is uploaded.  I
> have done this a number of times, and it is quite time consuming and
> frustrating.
>
> If anyone knows if the non-free buildd network is back up and
> active, I would appreciate knowing it and in addition, i would like
> to have your suggestions on moving libpgplot-perl to non-free.

It is up and running; see for example #625908. However I don't think
moving something from contrib to non-free to get it autobuilt is the
right solution. Perhaps it would be possible to ask the non-free
autobuilder team to also build whitelisted packages in contrib too,
if they don't already?

See <http://wiki.debian.org/buildd>