Re: Copyright License Proposal

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 21:59:10 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> >    - Multiple licenses in a single distribution is not a reality in CPAN
> >    world. At least not a reality worth making a big deal about in this
> >    context.
> I'm dubious about this, from personal experience, particularly for modules
> containing XS components.

Ack, same here.

Some quick and rough numbers:

In our svn repo we have 1587 debian/copyright files that use DEP5
(found by grepping for "Format-Specification").
If there was only one copyright/license we should have two
"Files:/Copyright:/License:" stanzas (one for upstream, and one for
debian/*). In reality we have:

 1 'Files:' stanza:    91
 2 'Files:' stanzas: 1029
 3 'Files:' stanzas:  320
 4 'Files:' stanzas:   75
 5 'Files:' stanzas:   25
 6 'Files:' stanzas:   19
 7 'Files:' stanzas:    8
 8 'Files:' stanzas:    6
 9 'Files:' stanzas:    1
10 'Files:' stanzas:    2
(and more ...)

> There are a lot of things on CPAN whose authors seem to *think* are under
> a single license, but that's not the same thing.  If you actually look at
> the source, there are often files under different licenses, and different
> copyright notices are very common.  This is particularly true of modules
> with XS components.  (The licenses are compatible, so this is usually not
> any major problem, but Debian requires documenting those licenses.)

Common third-party files (for all, not only XS modules) are
Module::Install, and ppport.h, somtimes also Test::* files are
bundled.

And then there are examples or tests with different copyright
notices, or dists that accumulate modules from somewhere else and/or
change maintainership etc.

 .''`.   Homepage: http://info.comodo.priv.at/ - PGP/GPG key ID: 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: Dido: Isobel