Re: Copyright License Proposal

Dear Ingy and everybody,

one way that may help to automate the creation of Debian copyright files from
META.yml files would be to use the same license strings as in the SPDX project.
This list has a great potential to become a canonical reference, as for
instance the OSI and Debian are converging on it.

About SPDX short names:

  http://spdx.org/licenses/
  http://spdx.org/content/celebrate-small-victories-and-cheers-open-source-initiative

About META.yml license strings:

  http://search.cpan.org/~dagolden/CPAN-Meta-2.110930/lib/CPAN/Meta/Spec.pm#license

For works where there is more than one copyright holder and license, I would
recommend to the CPAN author to write a machine-readable copyright summary.
The the “DEP 5” or SPDX formats have a different granularity and may fit
different preferences.  Both of them are not released yet, but I recommend
having a look, as they are close to completion.  For the DEP 5 format, there is
even a parser in CPAN.

About DEP 5:

  http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
  http://ddumont.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/debian-copyright-dep5-parsereditorvalidatormigrator-is-released/