Re: Copyright License Proposal

On 2011-06-06 10:04, Ingy dot Net wrote:
> My goal is to create tools that help CPAN Authors to become the Debian
> Maintainers of their *OWN* distributions.
> My goal is *NOT* to create tools for automatically making Debian Packages from
> other people's CPAN modules.

is there a problem with dh-make-perl? it's nearly perfect now, isn't it? may be
working towards uploading it to CPAN will close the gap between Debian and CPAN
authors? Perl developers are too much mused to finding everything on CPAN, so it
might trick some of them to think, that what is not there doesn't exists...

> From that perspective, it should be every author's right to opt into trusting a
> tool that helps them expand the audience of their works to Debian.

as an CPAN author that knows about the problems with distro packaging I would
really like to see something like Gregor pointed out - "Kwalitee::Repackageable"
or "Kwalitee::Distros" or even "Test::DistroReady". running a kwalitee script or
a distro-ready test suit before releasing to CPAN might be what's doable and
reasonable for a CPAN author while helping to remove common packaging problems
for the distribution. if it will be generic enough to match the packaging
problems of other distributions too, it might take off. this might be a
challenge for you Ingy, as you worship the acmeism, so a distribution agnostic
kwalitee/test tool might be an exact fit, no?

there is and always will be a need for someone else then the author to have a
look at the distribution changes to updated what is necessary => for example
copyright-license for new/changed files, special binary/version dependecies, if
the modules still works well together within the distribution, patch purely
Debian related issues, filter user bug reports and report upstream only when
it's relevant or with additional troubleshooting info and making sure the CPAN
author didn't went crazy...

personally I'm not good at packaging as it requires patience, sense for details
and pedantic work to be done. fortunately this group has members with these
skills that do a good job so the Debian-Perl package base is well done and
steadily growing.

cheers
Jozef