Re: Lintian not finding man page for "binary" (perl script)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 20:51:47 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

[Not at my normal machine, so more guessing.]

> Probably this is a lintian bug.

I don't think so :)

> My package installs perl modules under Audio::Nama, with a
> main Module Audio/Nama.pm, and a short executable script,
> nama.

> The man page is part of Nama.pm. When this distribution is
> installed via CPAN,
>     man nama
> brings up the same man page as
>     man audio::nama
> However, lintian does not recognize the man page associated
> with Nama.pm.

IIRC there's a /usr/bin/nama but no /usr/share/man/man1/nama.1[.gz], so
"man nama" will probably not work with the installed package.

> I can easily change this to satisfy lintian, however with so many
> perl distributions, I wonder if this is a recurring problem.

I've never seen it before if the manpage _is_ there :)

Typical solution:
Create a symlink /usr/share/man/man1/nama.1[.gz -> /usr/share/man/man3/Audio::Nama.3pm[.gz]
(debian/nama.links, man dh_link)

(Or adding some POD to the nama script, of course.)

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    You're dead, Jim.  -- McCoy, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7