Re: Proper Hello w/ introduction [was Re: Hello Debian-perl + problem registering on Alioth]

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:53:11 +0200, David Cho-Lerat wrote:

> Thanks, that did the trick ! ;)

Cool!

> I believe a somewhat more formal introduction is in order
> - here comes :

Thanks, it's always nice to hear a bit about group members.

> I heavily rely on CPAN modules, and not finding .deb
> packages for some modules I need is one of the reasons
> I'd like to contribute : I would rather not install software
> outside of the APT system.

Me too :)

> I'm fairly fluent with Perl as I depend on it every day to earn a living.
> The fact that I really enjoy using it helps.

That should help with fixing bugs, which is an important part of our
work besides "usual" packaging work.

> I have not (yet) read all the relevant Debian-perl documentation,
> and have only up to now created one .deb package from a CPAN
> module I needed, using dpkg-buildpackage. I am not (yet) familiar
> with debhelper, dh-make-perl and the like, so I guess I have some
> catch-up to do.

Right, there's a bit of reading, trying and learning in the
beginnging, but you'll get the hang quite quickly.

> I guess I should be able to help you create or maintain a few
> CPAN-related packages, but if I can be of assistance with any
> internal Perl tool within
> Debian itself I would be glad to help there, too.

Hm, there are actually some ideas for creating or improving internal
tools for the pkg-perl group floating around :)

> Guidance ! I know I have to start by RTFM, but then I will definitely need
> someone to refer to.

Sure! Don't hesitate to ask anything either here on the list or on
IRC (#debian-perl @ irc.debian.org (=OFTC)).

> My Alioth username is david_cho-lerat-guest. I don't know what your policy is
> on usernames : should I get rid of the underscore and dash characters ?
> If the name is OK, can you please add me to your group ?

As long as Alioth accepts the username it's fine :)
I've added you to the pkg-perl project right now.

Bienvenue !

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Die Toten Hosen: Sascha