Proper Hello w/ introduction [was Re: Hello Debian-perl + problem registering on Alioth]

Thanks, that did the trick ! ;)

I believe a somewhat more formal introduction is in order
- here comes :

As I said, I'm a senior Perl developer in a private company.

In my day job I develop small- to big-scale professional
Perl apps used as critical in-house tools throughout some of
the company's branches. I always focus on code robustness,
and, even if I'm ridiculed for this by some of my colleagues,
on code 'prettiness' ;)

I heavily rely on CPAN modules, and not finding .deb
packages for some modules I need is one of the reasons
I'd like to contribute : I would rather not install software
outside of the APT system.

I have worked on some systems-related projects,
some web interfaces using CGI and mod_perl, some
network-related projects, some so-called "glue" code,
all in Perl.

Actually, I tend to use Perl for everything. Even for basic
administration tasks where a combination of shell tools
could probably do - but it's just too tempting to add that
little extra killer feature that the un-Perled tool lacks ;)

I have developed, for my personal & professional projects,
a comprehensive Object-Oriented application framework,
which all my projects use as a foundation. This framework
is based on a few CPAN modules and quite a number of
my own, with a strong focus on consistency, security,
robustness and clarity. The basic philosophy for the framework
is derived from the books "Object Oriented Perl" & "Perl Best Practices".
I came to re-write a few of the commonly available CPAN modules
from scratch because I felt they did not meet my quality standards ;)

Systems-wise, I typically develop on my Debian box (using git), but
my apps run either on Solaris (the company's main production environment)
x68 or SPARC, Debian, or Windows through Cygwin.

What I think I can contribute :

I'm fairly fluent with Perl as I depend on it every day to earn a living.
The fact that I really enjoy using it helps.

I feel fairly comfortable with English even though it's not my native
language (please tell me when I don't make any sense). I have some C
and C++ skills, which would need to be honed, but I should be able to
deal with simple XS code if needed.

I've become addicted to Debian a few years ago, but I haven't
tried to become an active participant up to now.

I have not (yet) read all the relevant Debian-perl documentation,
and have only up to now created one .deb package from a CPAN
module I needed, using dpkg-buildpackage. I am not (yet) familiar
with debhelper, dh-make-perl and the like, so I guess I have some
catch-up to do.

The following statement from David Bremner applies to my situation as well :

"I'm not certain at this point that I am going
to go for DM/NM status. I want to make sure I can do a decent job (in
terms of time and interest) of maintaining a few packages."

I guess I should be able to help you create or maintain a few CPAN-related packages, but if I can be of assistance with any internal Perl tool within
Debian itself I would be glad to help there, too.

What I am looking for:

Guidance ! I know I have to start by RTFM, but then I will definitely need
someone to refer to.

My Alioth username is david_cho-lerat-guest. I don't know what your policy is
on usernames : should I get rid of the underscore and dash characters ?
If the name is OK, can you please add me to your group ?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long-ish e-mail ! ;)

Regards,
David Cho-Lerat.