Re: Working with dh-make-perl (was: Re: Application naming)

-=| Joel Roth, Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 09:34:40PM -1000 |=-
> > [...]at least I vaguely remember discussing
> > advantages and disadvantages of both options and of putting it in
> > svn/trunk and svn/apps and git :)
>
> Need I be concerned about the
> structure of svn repository?  Any references to tell me
> where and what should I specify regarding svn/trunk or
> svn/apps?

svn/trunk is watched by PET, so people generaly prefer it. svn/apps is
empty, IIRC. There is a strong will to make PET able to watch multiple
repositories, but that will is not backed up with enough free time :/

> After running dh-make-perl with
>
> 	--packagename nama
>
> debian/control says:
>
> 	Source: libaudio-nama-perl
> 	Package: libaudio-nama-perl
>
> Is this the expected behavior? I'm ready to patch, but would
> like to get as much correct as possible by informed use of
> dh-make-perl.

Seems like a bug in dh-make-perl. I'd apprecuate if you file
a bugreport, attaching any patch you want to propose. Unfortunately
I am not able to react immediately even on such simple requests.

Ah, and in case you haven't noticed, dh-make-perl lives in pkg-perl
SVN so if you are confident with the patch, please commit it right
away.

> Where does dh-make-perl look for short-description and
> description? (I see there is a --desc option to dh-make-perl.)

> 	 (no description was found)
> 	  .
> 	   This description was automagically extracted from the
> 	   module by dh-make-perl.
>
> Where does dh-make-perl look for a license?  debian/copyright says:
>
> 	Files: *
> 	Copyright: Joel Roth, <joelz@pobox.com>
> 	License: unparsable
>
> 	Files: debian/*
> 	Copyright: 2010, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com>
> 	License: unparsable or Artistic or GPL-1+

As Jonathan noted, these are extracted from the POD of the 'main
module'. If your POD is good, then perhaps dh-make-perl is not able to
figure ouy which module is 'main'. Again, a bugreport/patch/commit
would be greatly appreciated.